The province of New Brunswick is seeking to withdraw from the sale of cannabis and to transfer this activity to the private sector. It has issued a call for proposals to repurchase its 20 retail stores, previously owned by Cannabis NB, a subsidiary of the New Brunswick Liquor Corporation.
A single private operator will be chosen under the terms of the call for tenders. Interested parties have until January 10, 2020, to submit their application. With a final decision in spring 2020 for a transition during the year.
The government is looking for people with “proven experience in the sale of cannabis for recreational purposes, the financial capacity to develop and maintain activities, as well as a viable plan to fight the underground market and provide a high-quality service to consumers through competitive prices and a diversity of products”.
“This decision is part of our efforts to revitalize the private sector,then get our finances in order and maximize benefits for taxpayers and the government,” said Finance Minister and President of the Treasury Board Ernie Steeves.
In fact , after a careful and thorough review of the current management model for the sale of cannabis for recreational purposes and an analysis of alternatives. We finally,concluded that the most favorable approach for taxpayers and the Government of New Brunswick was to turn to the private sector,” he continued.
“We believe that the role of government should be to regulate and protect the health and well-being of our residents,” said Steeves. ” That is why our government has defined the single private operator model as the best approach to balancing the province’s public protection and financial interest objectives.”
Also,the province incurred considerable losses in its first fiscal year. Therefore, announced that it would consider privatizing the distribution portion of its regulatory model.