In our busy worlds, consuming the complete recommended intake of fruits and vegetables to meet our everyday vitamin and mineral needs is simply not always feasible. In fact, according to a CDC study, only one in ten Americans meet the daily recommended intake for fruits and vegetables. Superfoods greens powders are often purported as a solution to help hack your daily nutrition guidelines. Furthermore, greens/superfoods powders are commonly cited as a type of supplement for workout gurus or added to plant-based protein powders. But what are they really? Do superfood powders actually work? And how can you use them to boost your everyday health or take your workout training to the next level?
What are greens/superfood powders?
These powdered mixes are found by the dozen in the grocery store. There is no official definition, but generally they are describing powdered vegetables that offer powerful nutritional benefits, such as being rich in antioxidants or loaded with vitamins and minerals. Oftentimes they can be mixed with protein powder or other health ingredients like CBD. The specific ingredients in each powder vary from brand to brand, but many also contain additions like probiotics and prebiotics, added fiber, or enzymes to increase the amount of nutrient absorption in your body.
What are the benefits of taking greens/superfood powders?
Each individual powder will have different positive effects on your body. Proper nutrition is one of the keys to better health, and a balanced bodily system and greens can be a part of achieving this. Greens/superfood powders can provide nutritionally rich vitamins and minerals you may be missing out on. Additionally, these powders can be a way to take your workouts to the next level. These powders can decrease your workout recovery time by decreasing the amount of inflammation in your body. Inflammation is one of your body’s defense mechanisms against disease, infection, and illness. However, excessive pain from inflammation around the joints and muscles can impede your daily activities. If you manage to make it to the gym, inflammation can also impede your workout recovery. When building muscle mass, you create microscopic tears in your muscle fibers to allow them to rebuild and consequently strengthen. While this is a completely normal process, your body often sends out an inflammatory response that causes swelling, pain, and discomfort. Proper nutritional support can decrease your inflammatory response and consequently increase the benefits from your sequential workouts. Additionally adding CBD to your greens can make a huge difference for your inflammatory responses. CBD has a myriad of effects on the endocannabinoid system of the human body, and one of them is helping to reduce the amount of inflammation in your body. CBD has been shown to help reduce inflammation and can subsequently help your regular workout recovery or occasionally overtaxed muscles.
What factors should you consider when choosing your greens powder?
We set out to find ourselves a natural, greens/superfood powder that could support anyone’s healthy lifestyle – from a workout fiend to a busy professional. We considered the following important factors when choosing a greens/superfood powder:
- Avoid Hidden Sweeteners, Gums, and Artificial Colors: In order to make green powders taste more palatable, many manufactures try to sneak in added sugars to improve taste, gums to improve texture and artificial colors to make their powders look more appealing.
- Flavor: While many flavor additives, like excessive sugars, can combat the health benefits of your powdered greens blends, you still want to be able to enjoy your powder mix. There are many different flavor varieties available, but common flavors are berry, chocolate or vanilla. Look for a powder that is naturally flavored instead of artificially flavored with chemicals.
- Dietary restrictions or concerns: Evaluate not only the claims on the front of the powder tubs, but the ingredient lists as well to make sure that your powder fits your specific health needs. You can find many different greens blends that are vegan, gluten-free, keto, organic, non-GMO and/or raw diet-friendly.
- Nutrient absorption: You also want to find a formula that your body quickly absorbs. This allows you to begin reaping the benefits of your greens sooner, which helps get your day started on the right foot. Many blends contain additional fiber or probiotic enzymes (which aid in digestion as well as nutrient absorption) to ensure you get the most out of your greens powder.
- Cost: To make greens powder part of your daily routine, you will need to choose a cost-effective formula that you can feasibly build into your budget. Consider not only the base cost, but how many servings are in each powder tube to determine the overall cost.
Our search led us to Nanocraft CBD Superfood Green Powder, a powerful greens powder with a safe and pure formula. We immediately fell in love this powder when we learned it’s 100% vegan and cruelty free, so we had to take a closer look. Like many reputable CBD brands today, they provide third-party lab testing results of the cannabinoid compounds right on their product label. However, what struck us was that they also provide the same information breakdown for every single ingredient in the bottle. Nanocraft’s product is formulated for stress-relief, energy, and clarity – something we could all use a little more of in the morning. At $69 per bottle, it’s not cheap, but you get 30 servings with 20 milligrams of broad-spectrum CBD each. There are a ton of these products on the market, but this powder is one of the most nutrient-dense and potentially immune-supporting products you can buy today.
Are greens/superfood powders safe?
Supplements are supposed to be regulated under the FDA. However, the FDA is not authorized to review dietary supplement products for safety and effectiveness before they are marketed. Therefore, the manufacturers themselves are responsible to ensure their products are safe for the consumers before they go to market. There is some hope because, according to the FDA, manufacturers are required to produce dietary supplements in a quality manner. They must ensure that their products do not contain contaminants and are accurately labeled according to current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) and labeling regulations. However, the FDA is not ensuring that they follow the rules. This means that it is absolutely critical that consumers do their own research to verify not only the safety, but the quality of the supplement products they want to consume. The FDA recommends that consumers use noncommercial websites to search for supplements on the internet, rather than depending on information from sellers themselves. It is important to evaluate the superfoods/greens powder you choose based on not only the factors above, but the quality and transparency of the manufactures themselves!
In today’s world, it can be hard to meet your daily nutritional needs. Greens/superfood powders can be a wonderful addition to any vegetable-haters daily nutrition or any workout-lovers seeking shorter recovery times. It is important to evaluate the specific ingredients in any powder you try as the FDA relies on the manufacturers themselves to ensure their products are safe and effective. Furthermore, reading the ingredient list can help you determine the specific benefits that each protein powder has and any unique ingredients (like enzymes, additional fiber or CBD) that can take your powder to the next level.