Much has been written about the “ripening” of the grass once harvested. Careful drying on shelves, in special machines, with or without the leaves, etc. But have you ever heard of “water treatment”? It is a concept that at first seems strange: immerse your heads in water for 3-7 days, change the water every day and then dry them in one or two days. Strange? Not at all!
What you need
Freshwater (bottled or distilled water is preferable)
Salad bowl, basin or pot (size depends on the number of heads to be treated)
Water curing : steps
- Start by pruning your heads and removing stems and large leaves. If you want to make hash later, it is a good idea to trim the heads even more as this will give better quality hashish.
- Place your trimmed and manicured heads in a pot or salad bowl with water. The size of the pot depends on the number of heads to be processed.
- Water curing works best with water at a temperature of 18-24°C. Make sure you keep the water within this temperature range.
- The heads will want to float up, so you need to gently push them down and keep them submerged. If you treat them in a bowl or similar container, you can cover them with a kitchen cutting board.
- Change the water with fresh water every day. The water curing process can take between 3 and 7 days and you should change the water daily during this period.
- When you have finished water curing your heads, after 3-7 days, hang and dry your heads as usual.